Missouri River Energy Services Scholarship Program
Missouri River Energy Services (MRES), one of Marshall Municipal Utilities electric power providers, has established a scholarship program to assist high school seniors with educational pursuits that are related to the electric industry. Up to 12 scholarships will be granted each year in two categories. The program is administered by Kaleidoscope, a dedicated partner in scholarship and grant management.
The Scholarship application deadline is March 15, 2024 5:00 PM Central Time.
Applicants to the Missouri River Energy Services Scholarship Program must meet all criteria in one of two areas:
1) Scholarships for Full-Time Undergraduate Studies
Up to five (5) scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded to high school seniors who meet the following qualifications:
- High school seniors who reside in a household receiving electric service from a Missouri River Energy Services' member utility. Residence eligibility may be verified by calling Marshall Municipal Utilities. Eligible high schools are designated by Missouri River Energy Services.
- Plan to enroll in a full-time* undergraduate course of study at an accredited two or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school no later than the fall of 2024.
Scholarships will be awarded to students pursuing courses of study for careers related to the electric industry, such as an electrical technician (field service technician, wind turbine maintenance, power plant maintenance, etc.), electrical engineer or other engineering disciplines, mathematics, science, energy management, or other related fields such as accounting.
These awards may be renewed for up to three additional years or until a bachelor’s degree is earned, whichever occurs first. Renewal is contingent upon satisfactory academic performance in a full-time course of study and continuation of the program by MRES.
*Full-time study is defined as full-time enrollment for the entire academic year.
2) Scholarships for Students in a Powerline/Lineworker Program
Up to seven (7) scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded to students who meet the following qualifications:
Must enroll in a full-time* Powerline/Lineworker Program at an eligible technical college no later than fall of 2024.
Eligible technical colleges include the following:
- Bismark State College - Bismark, ND
- Dakota County Technical College - Rosemount, MN
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College - Granite Falls, MN Campus
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College - Jackson, MN Campus
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College - Wadena, MN Campus
- Mitchell Technical Institute - Mitchell, SD
- Northwest Iowa Community and Technical College - Sheldon, IA.
Powerline/Lineworker scholarships are one-time only and not renewable. Applicants do not need to reside in a household receiving electric service from an MRES member utility.